Friday, March 9, 2012

My Good Old Friend.....


The write up  I am penning down tonight is a result of  criticism  by my senior friend…… though I call him a friend…. If I were to really think of the age difference between us it would be substantial.  However this age difference has not diluted my friendship with him. 

I was discussing with him a write up I had written; as I usually do but this was after a long gap of time.  The topic posted that morning was also very close to my heart and I would have liked to think that  it was an inspirational write up. 

I had been receiving positive feedback all through the morning for the write up I had shared on the wall of a social networking site.  I had also mailed a copy of the write-up to this senior friend of mine He has always been a avid reader of my blogs and I have seldom received any kind of adverse remarks pertaining to my write ups.

This evening when I met him at a get-together… he came upto me with a glass of whisky in his hand and told me point blank “ your writing has stagnated and you don't seem to have any  inspiration  left”.  All the write ups written by you seem to be similar ….. the language it seems is also predictable and there is nothing new in whatever you are writing…… I did not know where to look ?  The whisky he had consumed was doing its job and what he was blurting out was nothing short of his frank opinion which really mattered to me.

Though his straight talk had made me sit up and think, I was a wee bit embarrassed by his forth right criticism of my writing which I thought, in his opinion had stagnated to such an extent that I felt it might be stinking as well.  Just as I was gathering myself up...... my ego had taken a beating and I was filled with the thought that corrective action had to be taken……  I had cut off eye contact with my good friend and pretended I was fine.  


I had slowly slipped away into the queue for the buffet dinner without waiting for my senior friend who has a virtue of always being very diplomatic and  intelligent but very true to me and others as well.  I realised  that one peg too much had brought out a blunt, brash and nasty side of my friend to the fore….. though the others who were present would have thought otherwise.  I felt liking hiding away from my good friend and I was on the look out for an appropriate place to hide……. though hiding under one of the tables also did not seem a bad option.  Even before I could locate a place to hide I found my good friend standing behind me and breathing down my neck.  

I started wondering, had my writing deteriorated so much that my good old friend had decided to take the task  of physically punishing me so that he could possibly drill some creativity into me or rather this shaking me up could bring out the creativity which was lying at the bottom of my being  like stale bread in a dustbin. 

The only defence I presumed I had was the plate which was sparsely filled….. not because I was dieting but because I had lost my appetite in the process of digesting the words which were cutting through my ego like a sharp knife cutting through the longitudinal fibre of a cucumber.  


My good old friend was standing at close quarters and in a slurred voice told me ….. you are trying to be too hard to be politically right…and in the process you are losing the beauty of  writing a language you know so well ….. all because you want to play to your audience (though my views are in contradiction).

Try writing on some subjects which may throw more light on the other side of human emotions; maybe high light their negative side.  Give your views on topics which are current and burning issues.  Try writing some kind of fiction which also brings to the fore the other emotions and limitations of human beings and your take on it…… Your opinion matters…… it really does matter and with these words he left my table to have another glass of whisky….. 


I did not have any reason not to believe those cold  blood shot eyes which definitely brought warmth in my heart not because I was spared his physical  punishment but because I had been given a new direction …. My good old friend had shown me he expected more out of me because he knew I could do it!  

Before going home I went looking for him and found him having another round of drink with a new set of friends …. he convinced me or rather  himself that this one peg was for the road and looked at me for approval.  But I was on a different plane altogether and my thoughts were focused on the new topic…… “Age is just a number on the calendar” ? 

By Blogger Jags




2 comments:

  1. Everyone has a style and you have your own, don't change it uless required by subject.

    Subhash Chandra

    ReplyDelete